Sunday, June 20, 2010
Kids and Blogging???
Okay, maybe since I'm not comfortable blogging and using social networks I don't know how I feel about kids using these tools. I don't let my own children do any of these things and don't want them to for many years. They do use the computer for educational games, resources, and research but that is a about it. I have to wonder if I'm the only mother in the world that feels that way. I know technology is a part of our world and it is a useful resource and tool in many aspects. Technology is not going away but in this area concerning technology I prefer conversations and face to face interactions over blogging and twittering. I guess I'm comfortable with emailing people because it is directed to someone or a small group and has a specific purpose. It cracks me up that they call it social networking because some people don't know how to interact with people in social settings...maybe this has something to do with personalities but for others it might be due to the increase of emailing, texting, and blogging. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind learning about these things or my children learning about these things but it is not a part of technology that I really see myself using.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You raise some great questions, and I am SURE that you're not the only parent who feels the way you do!
ReplyDeleteYou make a great point about how social networks, blogs, and other online communication arenas may be changing the way we interact with one another. I'm sure that kids behave differently online than they do in person, and there are many examples in the media of the negative effects of this phenomenon; however, it might have positive repercussions as well. For example, the quiet student who never contributes to classroom discussions might actually have the courage to interact online. Like anything, these technologies carry pros and cons with them.
Good reflection! Thing 1 complete!