I'm back and there are so many pictures to look at. I chose the sign because I thought it was funny in a weird way. I found the picture of the sign when I searched summer. I was expecting to see pictures of people having summer fun or vacation spots. I was not expecting to see a road sign with a picture of a car hitting a person. The other 2 pictures are bad pictures from my phone that show you what my children do when they are not being entertained.
Using flickr and the mashups could be used in class with students for all kinds of assignments. You could upload pictures of your students at the beginning of the year and create a memory game using pictures of their classmates. (Just a fun way to help you and the other students put a face with all the names of the students.) If you are learning about 3D shapes the students could take pictures of examples of the shapes they are learning about. The possibilities for using flicker and your own uploaded photos with your students could be endless. (Especially with older students.)
I would not have thought about the copyrights for the pictures on flickr. This would be an important detail to share with students so they can begin to understand copyright laws and the use of images they find on the computer. I got a little frustrated when I was searching for pictures on flickr because most of the pictures that I really liked were not pictures that I could use.
Great observations, and great pictures! (I'm constantly taking pictures of my three year old when she falls asleep in the car! They're so much cuter when they're asleep for some reason!)
ReplyDeleteI like your idea for a memory game; kids love to see pictures of themselves, and being able to make a game out of it makes it that much more fun!
I agree that the Creative Commons licensing can make it difficult to search for pictures, and, trust me, kids will experience the same frustration! I do think it's important, though, to help them understand that all of those pictures "out there" on the Web actually belong to someone, and it's important for us to credit the sources from which we borrow!
Great reflection and picture posts. Did you practice using an image generator or mashup? To complete Thing 4, you need to create an image using one of the generator sites and post it to your blog. Let me know if you need help!