Sunday, July 11, 2010

Thing 5--Wikis

I think this is a tool that could be used by students to create study guides, summarize understanding of topics, and share information about lessons or activities.
A blog is when a person creates post but others may comment but not create a post. A wiki is more collaborative and can be changed by others.

My favorite Wiki that I explored was the Flat Planet. You could tell that the students were engaged in learning and taking it to the next level. This was a fun and great way to help children learn through collaboration.
My least favorite wiki was the one that was the school newsletter. To me if just a couple of people are able to edit the information I would rather just visit a website than a wiki.
I have used wikipedia with my class to define words for them. It is a quick way to let the students find the information and share it with the class on the document camera.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right about wikis being more collaborative than blogs. Blogs are definitely more of a discussion-driven tool, where one writer expresses him or herself, and readers respond to what has been written.

    Wikis, on the other hand, are a place to collect resources, links, or ideas, or a place to manage collaborative projects. I'm glad that you noted the difference between the two wikis you took a look at. The school newsletter is closer to a Web 1.0 site than a truly Web 2.0 site. However, educators have turned to wikis for purposes like this because they're easy to use and edit.

    Good response; Thing 5 complete.

    ReplyDelete